Saturday, November 6, 2010

Preface

In 2005 I reached my top weight.  I am not sure exactly what it was, but the highest recorded weight I have down on paper a few months before I was introduced to 90-day OA was 326 pounds.  That equates to a size 30 and too big to fit in an airplane seat or do many of the things other people take for granted.  A friend introduced the program to me, but I wasn’t interested.  I had no experience with 12 step programs and didn’t intend to have any.  My problem was clearly either genetic or something I could deal with on my own when I got around to it.  I had pretty well given up believing there was any hope for me and my weight program. 
 
One thing I had going for me was the habit of trying to listen to my “higher power” and act on the impressions I received.  So when I had the distinct impression that I ought to at least check out a 90-day OA meeting one day, I did.  I didn’t like what I saw.  It was strange and alien to anything I was familiar with.  The problem was I had this gnawing feeling that I needed to try it.  I spent the next weekend agonizing over it:  Should I? Shouldn’t I? How can I give up flour and sugar?  Do I even want to?  After hearing me go back and forth for several days, my daughter said:  “Mom, just give it a try.  If it works, great.  If not, quit.”
 
The next meeting I got a sponsor who stuck me on a gestapo—type program.  The amazing thing to me was that deciding whether or not to commit to the program was the hard part.  Once I made that commitment and put down the flour and sugar, following the program was much easier than I ever imagined.  It was clearly much easier than living with the craziness that surrounded my relationship with food.  During the last 5½ years in program I have had 4 sponsors (including one temporary sponsor).  Each of them has been exactly what I needed at that point in my development and was an integral part in my recovery journey.  At the same time I started the “food program” I also began participating in another 12-step program.  Working through the steps was life-changing and a major factor in my recovery.
 
I lost 130 pounds the first 12 months and a total of 180 pounds within 21 months.  My weight stabilized quickly and I was surprised to find that I was within a pound of my goal weight on the first of each month.  This included a year where I was traveling out of the state or country for 123 days in that single year. I worked my program and followed my food plan regardless of where I was or how I was traveling. The relief from my obsession with food was amazing. If I had sugary or salty party foods around the house for an event I was able to look at them as table decorations. When the party was over I merely dropped them in the garbage along with the other decorations and paper goods.
 
After a few years on maintenance we started to make a few changes to my program.  I was allowed to eat out at restaurants without a scale.  A few additional abstinent foods were added back into my food plan. Instead of always carrying my food with me when I traveled, I started to eat out multiple meals each day—mostly without my scale.  During those trips I would obviously come home weighing a little more but would quickly go back to an acceptable weight.  As I continued to travel I quit worrying about the time frames within which I ate; I wasn’t so strict about not eating anything between meals as long as the situation warranted it.  During recent months I started to occasionally eat things that weren’t generally included in an OA food plan, but which didn’t contain any flour or sugar. That is where I found myself by the fall of 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment